There are many positive byproducts of virtual care’s rapid permeation through the healthcare industry. Nowhere is this more evident than the increased use of remote patient monitoring (RPM). RPM utilizes a combination of devices and systems that supply providers with a wealth of actionable data to better direct care-related choices.
At every level from individual to group practices, hospitals, and health systems, implementing a robust RPM system is linked to higher patient engagement, improved adherence to treatment/medication and, ultimately, more positive outcomes for more patients.
The Right Patient Data at the Right Time
For remote patient monitoring to be most effective, it is essential that the right data is collected and communicated at the right time. Providers need the tools/resources to easily collect patient vitals and other valuable measurements, allowing them to develop strategies in line with better patient outcomes and population health goals.
At the patient level, one sect of the population that benefits greatly from increased access to virtual care are individuals living with chronic conditions. With RPM – and chronic care management (CCM) – resources, providers can gain a more comprehensive view over patients’ chronic health needs as well as identify trends, opportunities for timely intervention and preventive care.
Improving Outcomes by Managing Utilization
RPM and CCM are shown to improve outcomes in many different patient populations, including those with conditions such as heart failure, diabetes, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Reducing the need for in-person visits opens more availability to patients that are otherwise unable to break away from their work schedule or family responsibilities.
In one study, patients with heart failure who were monitored remotely had a significant reduction in hospitalizations and ER visits compared to those who were not monitored.
Another study found that patients with diabetes who used remote patient monitoring had better blood sugar control and fewer complications than those who did not use remote patient monitoring. Patients with more consistent participation in remote monitoring had lower HbA1c levels at the end of the program. These results speak for themselves.
Care Effectiveness Leading to Cost Effectiveness
The benefits of RPM and CCM go beyond just care outcomes – they can also benefit the bottom line. A survey was conducted of 25 health care organizations that have implemented RPM systems/devices to monitor a range of conditions, including diabetes care, heart disease and COPD.
The results show a 38% decrease in hospital admissions, and 25% fewer readmissions and ER visits. Of the participating organizations, 17% reported a cost-saving benefit in relation to the reduced utilization of emergency care.
Lastly, RPM also offers a greater sense of convenience and flexibility for both patients and caregivers. By collecting data remotely, health providers can avoid the need for expensive office visits or hospital stays. With more effective management of in-person visits, supplemented by virtual care, it can also reduce the risk of provider burnout.
Giving Providers the Tools for Better Care
But again, all these benefits and positive outcomes of remote patient monitoring are only possible with the right tools and technology in place. That’s where we come in: TimeDoc Health’s software, devices and support personnel can be seamlessly integrated into any practice, medical group, FQHCs and RHCs to provide meaningful data and better guide patient care.
TimeDoc Health’s Remote Patient Monitoring Services
The TimeDoc Health RPM program includes a robust combination virtual care tools into one, convenient care management platform with a comprehensive offering of solutions, including but not limited to:
- Multi-Condition Monitoring: Choose from blood glucose meters, scales for weight management, and self-monitoring blood pressure devices that are all cellular enabled to support monitoring of various chronic conditions.
- Automatic Data Collection: Devices automatically push readings into the patient dashboard on our powerful, web-based platform that displays biometric data in real-time, allowing you to track patient adherence, program enrollment, and other key insights.
- EHR-Integrated Technology: TimeDoc Health supports the use of your current systems by pushing patient data directly from our platform onto the patient chart in your EHR.
- Easy-to-Use Devices: Cellular-enabled devices that are pre-configured for any patient to use right out of the box without the need for smartphones, Bluetooth pairing, WiFi, or monthly data plans.
- Customizable Alert Settings: Set thresholds for your entire remote monitoring program or customize them by the patient and decide how frequently your clinical team should be alerted when vital readings are submitted outside the acceptable range.
For practices or medical groups that don’t currently have the staff necessary to conduct remote patient monitoring, TimeDoc Health offers staff augmentation services as well. Our team can supplement your care management staff or fully outsource your RPM monitoring program.
For an in-depth look at how to increase the efficiency of your workflows and provide seamless service to your patients, click here to request a demo.